Monday, February 6, 2017

Who Am I?

I believe that the "who am I" story is one of the most important. Working at Pinecrest camp for the past five summers, I've had a lot of experience working with all different kinds of children from all different backgrounds. Some of the kids that attend camp are more challenging to work with than others; they question everything that you ask them to do and why they should bother listening to you. After the first couple of summers, many of these campers were far easier for me to work with than they had been in years past. They didn't question what I asked them to do, they didn't ask me why, they even wanted to do what I asked of them. Some more difficult campers would follow this precedent even if I didn't know them from past summers, while many of these campers would still prove challenging for other staff. I believe that this was because the campers understood who I was. They understood that I had their best interests at heart. They understood how much I cared about them and about the camp. They understood who I was and what was important to me. I believe that authenticity is one of the most important values that an individual can possess, and I believe that these campers could see that value in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment