Sunday, February 5, 2017

I wouldn't be me, without them.








Homecoming Queen. Miss LHS. Best All Around. Cheer competitions. Church performances. Homecoming court. 3rd Place in FBLA Public Speaking. Senior night. Wilson County Fair Princess. All-American cheerleaders. These words might all seem like random things that happen during high school, but to me they are what I have had to miss: being away from my two very best friends, Veronica and Valarie, my younger sisters. Being away from my siblings, missing their growth as they become established, successful women has been rough. While most of these are just superficial titles, showing up to these events means more to my sisters than any title has. A Facebook post, a Snapchat story, a tweet... these can only show so little of how very proud I am of my sisters. I think this has been this hardest part of college. Not time management, not adjusting to campus, not pulling countless all-nighters, but missing these moments in my sisters' lives. I am grateful to be at UT, but I walk around everyday missing two parts of me, my sisters. Over the past 10 years, I have become the second parent to my sisters when my dad pretty much left that role. I have tried to be a role model, to teach them to do the right thing, and to always teach them to respect others. I have listened to their stories, supported them in any way possible, and just sat around and laughed and laughed for hours. 
To me, family is everything, whether blood or not. I value personal relationships, closeness, and trust. I know my sisters understand that I am here in college for a better future, but man... I'd love to be able to be in 2 places at once.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. My brother (he's older than me though) lives in Austin, TX and I always miss him. It truly does feel like a missing piece of me is back when I'm with him. You're a great role model for your sisters. :)

    ReplyDelete