Monday, February 6, 2017

Up-and-coming Knoxville Band - Due Feb 13

Folks, first and foremost I would like to thank you for such thoughtful blog posts last week. I thoroughly enjoyed reading and reflecting on your words and I look forward to discussing them in class on Monday.

This week, I would like for each of you to research an up-and-coming Knoxville band. It can be any genre of music, please just touch on the following points below as you write about your choices:

1. What's the name of the band and the genre of music?
2. Why did you choose this particular band?
3. What's their tie to Knoxville or any history about the band members, etc?
4. Do you personally like their music? If yes, why? If not, why?
_______________________


I thought I would share one of my favorite Knoxville bands with you in this post, too. Anyone ever heard of Cereus Bright? Blake (my husband) and I had the pleasure of seeing them in concert with the Dirty Guv's last New Year's Eve, and their song "Stella" definitely stuck with me.


Cereus Bright plays modern folk music and they are named after a night-blooming desert flower. Two of the band members met while living in Knoxville and the duo created Cereus Bright a few years ago. You frequently see them touring with the Dirty Guv's and they have opened for a range of artists including Phillip Phillips. More information is available on their website: http://cereusbright.com.

Here's a breakdown of the band members:
   Tyler Anthony (lead vocals, acoustic)
   Evan Ford (harmony, mandolin, electric)
   Luke Bowers (drums)
   Matt Nelson (Upright Bass)
   Gideon Klein (cello, pedal steel, banjo)


Fun fact about Tyler Anthony, the lead vocalist: I went to college with him and we had quite a few friends in common. I once attended a house warming party for some of these mutual friends, and they asked everyone to dress in "jungle" attire. Most everyone didn't take the theme too seriously and arrived wearing pretty half-hearted costumes, except for Tyler. The poor guy shows up wearing only a leopard loin cloth - clearly going for the Tarzan look. To this day, it is one of my most uncomfortable, but entertaining college memories.

3 comments:

  1. Alicia! This would have been the band I chose if you had not. I know Evan through a friend and remember when he casually told me on the couch that he had a band. After seeing them for the first time I knew they would go places with Tyler's chilling vocals. They are some really cool guys and I'm glad our class gets to know more about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Cereus Bright! I saw them in concert in The Square Room and absolutely loved their sound. The artists (like Evan and Tyler) are so passionate about their music and the audience really soaked that up. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia, you seriously just stole the band I was going to choose. The atmosphere they create during their performances is so intimate and inviting. Like Sarah I saw them in The Square Room awhile back.

    ReplyDelete