Saturday, February 25, 2017

My Backyard


When I typed the address into the my GPS (yes, I still use a GPS because I do not have unlimited data...), Candoro Marble was 1.2 miles from my apartment...right down the road! I followed the directions and it took me on the route that I take to get to Kroger. I literally drive by Candoro Marble once a week and still never knew that it was there! The more you know!

When I arrived, I stepped out of the car and was greeted by the smell of fresh asphalt (and it wasn't a bad smell, just an interesting one). Marble was everywhere! I walked around, peeked in the windows, found 10 cents and walked around some more. I ventured down the stairs in the back and looked at all the spare bits and pieces and looked up what Candoro Marble actually was. I never knew how hoppin' the marble industry used to be! I also was not aware where marble came from...it comes from quarries...there is a a quarry right down the road from Candoro...coincidence? You tell me! (I also live at Quarry Trail...I am picking up on a theme here...just sayin').

One thing that I have realized over these past couple of weeks I have realized that Knoxville's history is kinda cool. It is unique in that it is everywhere you look. I was amazed that this place was literally in my backyard. As my time comes to a close at UT (even though I have an extra semester...), I am valuing Knoxville's history and learning about it!

2 comments:

  1. I live in Quarry Trail too and was so surprised that it was so close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same way! Really surprised me how close we were to this and never saw it. I take this road to get to Maryville sometimes and always pass it!

    ReplyDelete