Sunday, February 26, 2017

A new Knoxville discovery!

It’s always amusing to me when I have those a-ha moments and this week’s blog inspired one that revealed a piece of my hometown. I have always heard Knox nicknamed the “marble city”, but it wasn’t until reading the rich history of Candoro Marble Works that I developed an understanding of the marble companies that inspired this name. What I found to be even more amusing is that this historic site is just a few blocks off the beaten path of UT’s campus and one that I’ve passed numerous times without ever fully acknowledging. One of my favorite facts that I researched was the strategic placement and location of Candoro Marble Works which was specifically chosen because it was situated close to the railroad and Goose Creek, both of which helped in the manufacturing and business of the marble. This served as an example to me of the major changes experienced in production over time. I was pleased to learn that even after this site has put its marble ventures to the side, Knox Heritage has adopted it as a historic site. I loved reading of the creative uses of the building now including hosting cultural and arts events as well as weddings!  To me, Candoro Marble Works symbolizes that there is always more to learn about my hometown and the sites that continue to bridge our past and present and future!

1 comment:

  1. I think it is neat that you learned something new about your hometown! I, too, drive past here on a daily basis and it was neat to see a historic Knoxville site.

    ReplyDelete