Sunday, February 19, 2017

Charles McGhee Tyson

Charles McGhee Tyson was born in Clinton, Tennessee and raised in Knoxville since the age of two. His father was a businessman and he went to study at the famous Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He enlisted in the service during World War I, and he was appointed Lieutenant in the Naval Reserve. Unfortunately, he died flying across the North Sea, weeks before the war ended, at the age of 29.

He is remembered today by the McGhee Tyson Airport, which was dedicated to him in 1930, after the city purchased the land where it is currently today. The airport was originally built by Southerland Avenue and named Knoxville Municipal Airport, but outgrow it within three years.

I chose Lieutenant McGhee Tyson because I love everything about airports, especially flying. I believe in another life I would be a commercial pilot and fly all around the world. I have had the privilege of flying abroad out of McGhee Tyson Airport, and I can always feel a warm welcome home when I land and see the sign "Welcome to Knoxville". McGhee Tyson Airport has been part of my happiest and saddest moments of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I had always wondered the story behind the name of our airport here in Knoxville. It is nice to know that he was an honorable hero that gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete