Thursday, February 23, 2017

Pretty Pink Marble

Tennessee Marble was something I knew almost nothing about. It used to be a HUGE industry in Knoxville, even the biggest in the country. People used to use marble much more than they used. After World War II, however, a demand for fast, inexpensive home building resulted in less demand for Tennesssee Marble. In the 1920s their were twenty marble quaries and today there are only six. When hearing the word quary, I think of swimming and jumping off cliffs into the water. Most people are not aware that this region still supplies Tennessee Marble today. 
When I visited Candoro Marble Works I couldn't stay long but I was very impressed. I couldn't believe that a place so arcitectually beautiful would be tucked away in South Knoxville. I learned that Candoro was designed by a famous architect named Charles Barber in a style known as Beaux Arts. The building was completed in 1923 and used as a show room for the marble. 
Today Candoro Marble Works isn't open to the general public but is available to be booked for weddings and other events. I would highly encourage anyone to go see it. It is truly a hidden gem in Knoxville. 

No comments:

Post a Comment