Saturday, February 25, 2017

Candoro Marble Works: A Very Unoriginal Title

When looking at the requirements for this assignment, I got a little excited because I thought I was going to get to ride a little bit and discover something I never really knew existed before. Half of this was true. I did not get to ride very far because Candoro Mable Works was approximately four minutes away from my house.

Once I arrived my GPS said that I was supposed to be looking at a run down building that looked like it had not been loved in years. I then pulled up the assignment on my phone to really discover what I was supposed to be examining. I learned that I was in the correct location, but I was not looking at the correct building.

Like many others I had always heard of Knoxville as the "Marble City" but never really understood why. After learning for about Candoro Marble Works, I learned exactly why this nickname was given. Many of the monumental buildings in the area include marble that was cut and polished in the facility.

I also learned a little bit of history behind this native landmark. Candoro Marble Works became a subsidiary in 1914 of the John J. Craig Company which operated several quarries in the Knoxville area. The company used the materials from these quarries in the development of the marble products they produced. The company closed it's doors in the 1982, but in the early the 2000s the South Knox Heritage purchased the building in order for it to be used for the purposes it is used for today.

These little gems are what makes Knoxville what it is and what makes it so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment