Saturday, April 1, 2017

Historic Ramsey House

The Historic Ramsey House is a true look into Knoxville’s past. Located past downtown in southeast Knoxville, Ramsey House was built in 1797 by architect Thomas Hope for Colonel Francis Alexander Ramsey. Hope is actually credited with being Knoxville’s first builder! A long withstanding symbol of our marble city, Ramsey House is constructed completely of Tennessee pink marble as well as limestone. Although it serves various purposes today than it once did housing the Ramsey family, the interior and exterior architectural features are true to the original design.

The Ramsey family has a history of strong ties to the Knoxville community. Colonel Francis A. Ramsey, the patriarch of the family, is by far the most significant figure. He was one of the founding trustees of Blount College better known today as our lovely University of Tennessee. His sons also left their mark with one writing a historical novel about our state named “The Annals of Tennessee” and the other becoming the first elected mayor of Knoxville. Today their former home has been turned into a museum and event venue with the driving mission to “educate, preserve, and interpret the history and cultural life of early Tennessee and the important role of the Ramsey Family.”


I chose this location because it was one I’ve heard of before, but never really seen or experience myself! I unfortunately did not get to visit due to its limited tour schedule, but I plan to make an in person visit one of these days here soon. I hear they have a cute little spot for picnics which would be the draw for me. All in all, it goes to show that there is always more to learn about this place I call home! 


2 comments:

  1. This house is so cute! The picnic idea sounds wonderful and I may do it myself as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this place! It looks like it's tucked away, all quaint and cozy. Knoxville has some cool places!

    ReplyDelete