Saturday, March 4, 2017

Legacy Parks Foundation


When I began my collegiate journey in Knoxville, I did not have the appreciation that I have now for being outside and enjoying mother nature. Over the past for years, some of my best memories come from being outside and exploring with friends. I believe that being outside and experiencing all that there is to do, from walking in a park to swimming in a quarry, can be very beneficial for getting to know an area. 

When researching local non-profits, I came across the Legacy Parks Foundation. I had never heard of this organization until today. The work that the foundation does is pretty outstanding. They began operating in 2007. Their main mission is to preserve east Tennessee outdoor areas for our use and for the use by future generations to come. They have a handful of areas in which they focus. They are:
  • Preserve our Ridges and Views - creating a balance between development and conservation so that the everyone is able to enjoy the breathtaking views that east Tennessee has to offer
  • Connect our Greenways and Trails - looking into acquiring land in order to expand the greenways in order to allow for easier access to recreation opportunities
  • Maintain the Health of and Access to Our Waterways - developing the public waterfront and swimming, boating and other recreational water sports
  • Create Recreational Opportunities for the Underserved - reduce financial barriers that are associated with youth recreation and create parks that are suitable venues for sports
  • Exceed the National Average for Public Parks and Green Space - surpass the national average to show that east Tennessee has a healthy community and is willing to protect the environment
Since 2007, the Legacy Parks Foundation has helped to conserve over 1,000 acres of forest and farmland. They have also acquired and added over 500 acres of parks to Knox County. I think that this is a pretty great feat! The outdoors are often taken for granted. Going outside and enjoying the simplicity of nature and the surrounding environment is something that I enjoy and take advantage of and believe others should as well. (I also believe this organization would make Leslie Knope proud).

http://www.legacyparks.org/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Katie! I've not heard of this org. either until reading your post.

    ReplyDelete