Friday, March 31, 2017

Blount Mansion

       Blount Mansion is a historic home created in 1792. It was one of the very first frame houses built west of the Allegenies. I chose to visit this location because of how close it was to campus and because of how many times I have driven past it. It is located on West Hill Avenue downtown overlooking the Tennessee River. William Blount, a signer of the United States Constitution, lived here when it was named the territorial capitol. Mrs. Blount’s request was to have a proper wooden house, so it was made of sawn lumber. When pulling up to the location, I was impressed with how well it was kept. For being such a historic building, it did not look very old. I would have loved to live here. The gardens were absolutely beautiful and it was an amazing view overlooking the river. I did not go into the visitor center because it was actually very busy today, so I will go back at some point to see if there is some kind of tour that can happen. I am thankful to know Knoxville takes so much pride in preserving history





1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that it makes me proud to know our city is taking so many steps to preserve our past! I also love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete